Palliative medicine is a medical specialty backed by an interdisciplinary team of physicians and nurse practitioners that supports the attending physician’s care of patients with serious and life-threatening illnesses.
Palliative care consultants:
• treat complex pain and other symptoms.
• handle intensive patient/family communication.
• assist with clarification regarding goals of care.
• support the attending physician’s plan of care.
• improve patient outcomes, boost satisfaction.
• offer a support system to help families cope.
Palliative medicine is NOT:
• in place of curative care.
• the same as hospice.
• in-home nursing personal care services.